RE: sport exhaust manifold

To: "'Peter & Esther'" <zes@xs4all.nl>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: sport exhaust manifold
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 16:47:13 -0700
        I am sure other listers will chime in here.

        Basically, it depends on how long you intend to keep the
car, and how much you drive it.

        Mild steel headers are extremely susceptible to corrosion
(hot, corrosive gases and steam). If you drive on salted roads,
make lots of short trips, or intend to keep the car for more than
a couple of years, either go with stainless or get the mild steel
and have it ceramic coated.

        Headers tend to rot through at the collector, where moisture
will collect after a short trip, and where they are most exposed to
salt. They will last 2 years tops under these conditions.

        If you only put a few miles a year on your car, always let the
car warm up fully, etc, then mild steel will probably suffice.

        Cheers,

        Vance

1974 Mimosa Yellow Triumph TR6
Cogito Ergo Zoom