reply to engine rebuild

To: <Lizirbydavis@cs.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: reply to engine rebuild
From: "Bob Fabie" <rmf3860@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 09:09:24 -0400
Here's what I can tell you based on rebuilding my engine earlier this year
and having rebuilt a couple others in the past:

1. If you take the basic precautions, you should be able to disassemble the
engine yourself. Follow the manual. Be careful not to scratch the crank
journals. Be careful not to bang the cam around as you pull it out. Be sure
to mark your main and connecting rods/caps.Use a dial indicator to measure
you thrust washer/crank movement.

2. I furnished my machine shop  fully disassembled parts. They hot tanked
the head and block, checked for cracks, bored the cylinders, installed new
(I provided) pistons and wrist pins to the connecting rods, polished the
crank, surfaced the head, checked the valves, springs, seats and guides -
replaced two valves, installed valves seals and hot tanked some additional
parts like the oil pan, etc. The total cost was $650.00. This company has
been in business in the same place for over 20 years and they do excellent
work. Others may disagree, but there's nothing unique about the block, head
or crank of a TR6 engine that a competent machine shop cannot handle. The
more labor you do, i.e., disassembly and reassembly, the less you'll have to
pay the machine shop.

3. When installing the new pistons, be sure oil and compression rings are
offset and properly inserted. Be careful handling and inserting the crank
bearings. Use assembly lube. As you install each piston, don't let the
connecting rod bang or drag on the cylinder walls or jam against the crank.
Resulting gouges will be the source of premature wear and failure.Take your
time. Follow the manual. Keep everything clean.Don't drink too much beer.

4. Double check your installation of the timing gears to ensure it meets the
new cam timing requirements. A mistake here is easier to fix while the
engine is on the stand than once it's back in the car.

Rebuilding your own engine is not rocket science but one should certainly
not trivialize the skill, experience and practical knowledge involved in the
process. It's easy to make mistakes because you don't know what you don't
know. Ideally, have an experienced friend look over your shoulder and use
this list for ongoing questions and issues.

Have fun.

Bob Fabie
'75 TR6
Fredericksburg, Va
PS: Engine photos proudly sent on request.