Black coating on the shift lever shaft

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Black coating on the shift lever shaft
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 11:53:05 +0000
The black coating on my shift lever is more of a rubberized/ plastic coating
than powder-coating or heavy paint. I know this because I have a minor tear
that pulled away from the metal shaft.

I was thinking that a possible replacement for the original would be a
length of heat shrink insulating tubing. This is just an idea. I have not
looked at the shaft to see if a piece with a diameter large enough to fit on
the fat end would shrink enough to grip on the skinny end.

Peter
'68 TR250 (in hibernation for the winter)