Which overdrive A or J?

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Which overdrive A or J?
From: "Ronald A. Dowty" <rdowty@dowtyenterprises.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 04:00:16 -0600
I am currently working on my 76' TR6 to be finished by Spring if I keep
hurrying. The rolling chassis should be done tomorrow and I have all the
replacement panels bought if not installed on the body. The engine is
also ready. One of the two things I need are an overdrive and AC. I'll
ask the AC question later. I'm waiting for a guy named Roger Bollick to
finish his article on installing one using Vintage Air parts. As for the
overdrive I realize the J type was correct for my car but it was
originally a non overdrive car so the frame brakets need to be modified
where as the A type is mostly a drop in. The question is which is
better. I think the A type works in 3 and 4th gears and the J type only
works in 4th where I'd probably use it. I was going to keep watching
eBay for a few months and if I could get one reasonably I was going to
pick it up. I have a 70 parts car and a working non-overdrive
transmission from it as well as the one from the 76. I'm not super
worried about having a J because I have a later car. I'm buiding a daily
driver and I want it to have the best of both worlds like an early head
(actually my later one is just shaved to 9.5:1) and earlier bumpers but
with some of the later improvements like the brake pistons (which are
usually upgraded on rebuilds).

So which is better and why? I've never had an overdrive but the speed
limits here are about 20 MPH faster than the last time I drove my baby.
I need to be able to cruse at 70 just to drive from one side of town to
the other on the bypass.