RE: Reality Check

To: "'Andrew Packard'" <apackard@triad.rr.com>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Reality Check
From: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 13:27:57 -0600
I think if you're looking for a relatively rust-free Tr6, you're going to
have to pay more -- probably in the area of $4 to $5k. that might get you a
car where it mostly needs new interior and paint, but hopefully not much in
the way of rust repair or mechanicals.

>From a dollars and cents standpoint, you're almost always better off buying
the best example that you can afford, because professional work (especially
paint and bodywork) is so expensive. It's better to get a car where somebody
ELSE doesn't get out of it what he put into it.

I bought a Triumph on E-Bay last spring from Indiana and had it shipped to
Virginia sight unseen. Car starts and runs pretty well, body is pretty good
except for floor pans; frame seems OK, engine has been restored. Interior is
fair to poor, electrics are a mess (no turn signals; no wiring for O/D
(which I hope will work when I get it wired), suspension needs rebuilding,
transmission is worn.

It sounds like the kind of car you're looking for, and I think at around
$4,200, including delivery, I got a reasonably good deal.

Graham

Subject:        Reality Check

Listers:

My son and I are looking for a TR6 to repair and restore for a weekend
driver.

We traveled to Sarasota to get a car that had some mild (repairable) rust in
the rear deck and door sills.  The car was complete (plus some extra parts),
unmodified and hadn't run in 3 years.  It looked good, exactly as the owner
had described and the pictures verified.  However, we found major frame rust
just forward of the left rear suspension pickup.  We could have bought the
car for $1,200.  We left it there.

We traveled to southern Ohio to get a car that someone bought at an estate
auction.  It was complete and advertised for $1,550. The car was last
running in May 02.  The pictures showed some minor surface rust and we knew
the  driver's side floor pan and outer sills needed replacement.  The owner
knew nothing about Triumphs (Corvette and Healey experience from many years
ago).  The fenders were all loose from rust and one door had been damaged
from an accident.  The doors drug on the posts when opened and closed.  We
left it there.

Can we find a rebuild able, on-frame restoration TR6 for less than $2,500?
We would do better if it is a complete car that we take apart and replace
needed items versus bringing the car home in a box.  Any ideas or leads in
the southeast - these long trips are killing me.

Jim Farris
Montgomery AL