PI on 5 cylinders (rough running on start up)

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: PI on 5 cylinders (rough running on start up)
From: "Glen Johnson" <glen@littledevil.com.au>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:59:24 +1100
My car has been doing the same thing.

It runs rough whenever I start it - when it's cold it feels like the
motor is going to jump out of the car.  When it is hot it starts rough -
but is manageable and takes a good 45-60 seconds to smooth out to
something that I would consider reasonable enough to drive.  After that
it is fine and goes like a beast.

I checked fuel pressure and I'm running 105psi.

I spoke to a friend who maintains PI's and has three himself.

He said that more often than not it is actually just a problem with
spark plugs and that the wrong heat-range or a poorly firing plug could
cause the problem - hence the car runs better after a short period of
time.

I thought this sounded like bollocks because I figured that would only
show up when the car was cold - and mine runs rough even on a hot start.

Anyway, a few days ago I took all the plugs out and inspected them.  One
was pretty sooty and the rest were a nice pale brown.

I swapped the order of the plugs and reassembled and from a cold start
it ran perfectly smooth.  Later that day I tried a hot start and it ran
rough again - although not as bas as before.

I am starting to think that there is air in my fuel lines somewhere and
that the ignition/plugs was only part of the story.

Can someone help explain the procedure for clearing air out of the fuel
lines?

Glen Johnson
[Site Designer]
TRIUMPH OWNERS TASMANIA CLUB