Re: Bonnet Not aligning Up

To: Mark Riddle <dunamis6@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Bonnet Not aligning Up
From: Tommy Thompson <segerguy@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 22:40:51 -0800 (PST)
Mark and Dick,
Thanks very much for the help!!  I will try all of your suggestions to get this
problem fixed.  I have a few days off from work and I''ll put your suggestions
in my book that I made for my car...and work on them!!!
I know you guys must get Tons of email, can I email you both off-line if I have
questions about this?
In the last 3 days my Father-In-Law and I have:
Replaced the Left Front brake rotor,
New brake pads in front
New shocks in the front
New springs in the rear with poly bushings
New link arms in the rear
New Ball Joints up front
New Grease Fittings.....where we could find them
All new bushings up Front
New clutch and brake pad rubber pads
Complete alignment of the suspension
New Battery Strap down assembly/with Battery Mat
New Positive and Negitive Battery Cables
New Spin on Oil Adaptor, Filter and Oil (Castrol 20W50W) Wix 51516 Filter
Wow..it's been a busy 3 days.....from 6:00 AM till 6:00 PM in the garage!...But
what FUN!!!!!..And WOW does she drive nice now!!!  What a difference!  I love
my LBC!!!!!
Thanks for your Help!
Ready to drive from here in Los Angeles to Miami!!
Tommy Thompson
73 TR6 CF1892U

  It's the last piece of the puzzle to get my TR6 the way that I want it!
 Mark Riddle <dunamis6@juno.com> wrote:Tommy,
Bob's comments are great. I would like to add...
Alignment can be refined to a very high degree if you take the time, and
have the patience to do it.
First off, work at the cowl / rear of hood "joint" by making use of the
sliding attachment at the hinge and the position of the buffer cones to
get it even all the way across the back of the hood. it takes a lot of
trial and error, but it can be done.
Once this line is good, you will probably want to get the height at the
leading edge dialed in by loosening the hinge plate, and raising or
lowering to suit. Before you snug this adjustment though, you may need to
move one or both of the front fender tops in or out by using the slotted
holes in the fender mountings (9 holes/top edge).
At times it seemed as though it would never look right, but once you
understand how all the panels work together, you begin to see where to
adjust to acheive the goal. It is more a matter of getting all the front
panels to line up with the hood, once you have it "right".

Getting the cones in the right "spot" was the most difficult part for me.
The cones seemed like they needed to be positioned beyond the available
adjustment, and in the end they are right at the limits. Make sure the
cones are positioned centered into the hole on the hood too, or the cones
will quickly be seperated from the base bolt by the additional stress.

Of course YMMV, and others may have a different approach. This is what I
did for mine.

Good luck, and don't rush it.

Mark Riddle
'72 TR6