Steering Questions, been there done that...

To: "Dwayne Cooper" <dcooper@paciolan.com>,
Subject: Steering Questions, been there done that...
From: "Richard Seaton" <rsh17@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 19:15:31 -0600
Dwayne,

  After you remove the steering shaft,  of the steering column, there are two
plastic bushings, one upper and one lower. I suspect your upper one is shot.
They aren't to hard to drive out with the appropriate size socket and some
extra extensions. I think, if you get the socket or extension to grab the lip
and hit the extension with a hammer, it should slowly be driven out. Get the
first one out then the second will come out easy.
  My top bush was nonexistent so it was pretty easy.
 What I used to help aid in the installation was spraying hair spray (yes,
hair spray) on the bush and inside the steering column. This was to provide a
temporary  lubricant to the bush so it would slide inside the shaft. Once dry
it would be sticky and not leave grease inside of the shaft. I don't think
grease would hurt, but I went with the hair spray.
  You will need to make sure the two nubs on the rubber bushes line up with
the holes in the column. I did mine with the column out of the car, but it
should be doable while still attached.
  Like most things on a TR, it's not to difficult, just time and patience.

  I hope this helps,

Richard Seaton
69 in the works
(http://groups.msn.com/Richards69TR6Restoration)