Machining head for compression ratio

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Machining head for compression ratio
From: "Neil Wehmeyer" <ngwehmeyer@attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 08:26:34 -0800
List:
Can anyone help me understand compression ratios and head thickness?  I have
a '69 with engine #cc26944HE. The compression ratio of pre 1972 models is
stated to be 8.5 to 1. According to the TR Repair and Operation Manual the H
in this serial number is for high compression.  I have a core engine
#cc53580E.  The head from this core engine measures the same thickness as my
'69's head.

Question numbers one and two:
Are these two engines of the same compression ratio, or were compression
ratios changed by differences in the pistons?
If they are the same compression ratio, what does the H in the serial number
of my '69's engine stand for?

Question number three:
How do I determine how much to skim from these heads to increase the
compression ratio by a set amount.  I would like to bring it up to 9.5 to 1.

Thanks for any insight provided.

Neil Wehmeyer
ngwehmeyer@attbi.com
CC26859L