Re: Carburetor rebuild questions

To: Gregory Dito <g.dito@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Carburetor rebuild questions
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:58:24 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 8 Mar 2003, Gregory Dito wrote:

> >From a little research I did I found out that the original Hydroseal was
> banned so the new stuff that Gunk developed is called Hydroseal II.
> Apparently does not have the "punch" of the original.

I am not sure of this either, but there has been a large effort by the EPA
to ban or limit the amount of unburned hydrocarbons that get released to
the atmosphere.

That being said, I'll bet money that the solvent "missing" from the new
product is likely to be MEK or one of the TCE type compounds. These
compounds are highly volatile, so in using them you would release unburned
HC compunds into the atmosphere. They are great solvents...

Yes, those products clean better (chemically), but the resulting sludge is
pretty tough to deal with. And the unburned HC compounds are def. a
problem (from an air quality standpoint).

Your "new stuff" is mostly water-based solvents/detergents.

Frankly, I'd rather have to rub the carbs a bit to get 'em clean than have
to deal with 5 or 10 pounds of highly toxic waste.

Obligatory side note - in "z olt dayz", I would buy a 5 gallon pail of
"carb cleaner" every few years. One time I was cleaning a couple of VW
carbs and I wound up dropping a part into the pail. Not thinking to
clearly, I reached into the milky liquid and retrieved the parts (bare
hands - no gloves or any protection).

Starting about 2 days later, the skin on my hands started peeling off. In
great quantities. I'm talking "chunks"  up to an inch long. This
exfoliation continued for at least two weeks.  To say this was
uncomfortable is a understatement of the highest order.

To be honest, I don't car the slightest at what my carbs look like anymore
after that experience. If canned carb cleaner or a light "going over" with
a fine wire-wheel on the Dremel doesn't do the trick, I just live with it.

The old carb cleaner was _NASTY_.

> Greg Dito

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |