Re: TR6 seats

To: ythouse@netrover.com
Subject: Re: TR6 seats
From: "SHANE Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 09:24:01 -0500
Steve,

I've not a lot of experience in this area, but can give you a few tips:

- the TR6 seats are very narrow (about 19.5" at the base, and 17" at the
shoulders) with thin cushion and back rest.

- if you want reclinable back rests, I have heard that seats from 80's BMW
32* series, Miata and C4 Corvettes will work.  Others may be available.
Corvette seats are pretty damn nice (I had them in my Pantera, another car
with limited seat space).

- aftermarket "race" seats (such as Sparco, Momo, etc) are limited because
they are too wide at the shoulders which will interfere with soft-top
operation etc.  However, Corbeau do make several seats for Cobra kit-cars.
I have a set of older GTA high-backs which fit perfectly in the TR6.  The
newer GTA high-backs seem to be larger and less comfortable.  YMMV.

- all of the above will require that you drill new holes in the floor pan to
mount the new rails.  This job needs to be done correctly to be safe.

Good luck,

Shane Ingate in Maryland