Re: Shifting

To: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: Shifting
From: Richard Good <goodparts@desupernet.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 18:03:49 -0500
The TR6 trans is constant mesh. The only gear that moves in and out of mesh
is reverse. The gear on the input shaft meshes with a gear on the
countershaft driving the countershaft. Other gears on the countershaft mesh
with and drive first, second and third gears which reside on bushings on
the mainshaft. All of them turn all of the time but since they are
different sizes, they turn at different speeds. When shifting through the
four gears you are not moving gears but synchro hubs which engage the
chosen gear to the main shaft to drive the mainshaft (output shaft) at the
speed of the chosen gear. In fouth gear the mainshaft is engaged directly
to the input shaft (1 to 1 ratio).

Richard Good