healey kingpin recall -- no Triumph content

To: "Triumph Six-Pack (6pack@autox.team.net)" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: healey kingpin recall -- no Triumph content
From: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:27:20 -0600
posting this here because I know some list members also own Healeys.

--Graham

Latest News

PRODUCT RECALL NOTICE

 <http://www.mossmotors.com/mossgraphics/RecallProductLayout.pdf> AUSTIN
HEALEY KINGPIN SET Moss #021-188

2/14/03

The Moss technical services department has discovered that between
Approximately June 7, 2000 and March 26, 2002, we received, and sold,
Austin-Healey kingpins from one vendor that were manufactured with
inconsistent forging and hardening procedures. The kingpins may be too
brittle and could break with typical front suspension forces. If the kingpin
breaks, the suspension will collapse causing loss of control.

We have sent out letters to our customers who purchased kingpins during this
time period notifying them that we are recalling the product. We will supply
new kingpin sets and a labor allowance to have them installed.

As we are not the only supplier of this vendor's product we urge all
Austin-Healey owners who had kingpins replaced around this time period to
check the type of kingpin installed. If they do not have forging marks as
shown in the attached pictures we believe the car is unsafe.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. We want all of our
customers to be assured that Moss stands behind the products we sell.

Thank You

Kelvin Dodd
British Marketing Manager
Moss Motors, Ltd.