Re: PD WA Leak

To: rgrothstein@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: PD WA Leak
From: Mark Riddle <dunamis6@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 21:53:17 -0400
Bob and Aaron,
The threads of the "plug" on the PWDA are not "tapered", and therefore
will not "seal" as the plug inserts further into the body of the unit.
Hence the copper washer at the "flange" of the bolt head. Although the
teflon tape may provide some measure of sealing, it should not be relied
upon.
If the faces of the bolt and body are in good shape, then a good copper
washer should be more than adequate. Nelson Riedel at the Buckeye site
mentions using a copper washer of "Lowe's" vintage, But I myself cannot
confirm this.
I used a seal kit from TRF, and have had no problems ( the washer was
included).
Opinions may differ as to the use of the "tape", but I always thought
that teflon tape was intended to provide "slip" allowing more rotation of
a tapered thread to bring them into closer mating, providing the "seal".
Just another opinion to throw into the "mix".

Cheers,
Mark Riddle
"72 TR6