Re: SU convertion for TR6 ?

To: Alex Cherington <a_flying_scotsman@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: SU convertion for TR6 ?
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 09:34:59 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Alex Cherington wrote:

> Hi,

Hi.

> I also would be interested on information on this
> topic. I have a US spec TR6 with Strombergs and have
> been told that SU carbs off a 2500s saloon bolt
> straight on with performance improvements.

The HS6 is a bolt-on.

The "improvements" are that you get a wider array of jets that you can
use, and that the float pivot is oriented fore/aft (as opposed to the
Zenith-Stromberg being oriented left/right).

What this means is that you can theoretically get better mixture control
(with the jets) and you don't get the annoying left hand turn "bog" that
many folks that drive thier TR6's hard come to know and love.

As for power increase from the SU's, the performance should be very close
to the Z.S carbs. The power increase would come from better fuel
management.

> Has anybody done this conversion?

Lots of folks do it.

I'm not sure about the source of the carbs though. The 2500s was carb'd,
but they may have used SU's or they may have used ZS 175's. But many other
makers had 1.75" carbs, so there should be lots of them out there. The
only gotcha is possibly the angle of the float bowl, but I understand that
these are bolt-on items and that they are available.

> Thanks

Good luck!
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |