gear reduction starter

To: "TR6 list" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: gear reduction starter
From: "Gary Fluke" <res0s0t7@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 21:58:02 -0700
Jeff,

I have installed the new gear reduction starter and it turns over the engine
like gangbusters.  It feels as if there is no way the engine could refuse to
start.

The only unfinished business with the starter is that even though BPNW told
me that there is provision on the starter for applying full system voltage
to the coil when cranking there is no such connection.  I made up a copper
washer with a tab on it for the spade connection on the wire that goes to
the coil and placed it on the positive terminal on the starter motor.  This
at first looked like it would replicate what the arrangement is on the Lucas
starter, on which there is a wiper that contacts the bar that connects the
positive from the battery to the starter only when the bar is driven home by
the solenoid.  When I tried to start the car it would fire as long as it was
cranking but as soon as the key was let go to the "ignition on" position the
engine would die.  When I checked the voltage to the coil with the ignition
on and the engine stopped, there was 0 volts.  As soon as I removed the wire
I had added to the positive starter terminal I got the proper reading at the
coil and the engine fired right up.

There is apparently a good reason for Lucas to set it up so that the wire to
the coil is isolated once the starter is disengaged.  I don't understand
what is going on.  It seems to me that when the ignition switch is in the
"on position" that the positive terminal of the starter motor would most
likely be free floating, unless it was shunted to ground except when
cranking (why that would be the case, I don't know, but I'm grasping at
straws).  If there was a short to ground (causing the 0 volts reading at the
coil) when the ignition wire is connected to the coil's positive terminal
along with the wire from the starter's positive terminal, and the ignition
switch is in the "on position", it seems to me a fuse would blow or a wires
would fry what with the amperage available from the battery.  Nothing blew
or fried.  What other than a short to ground could cause the ignition
voltage to go to 0 at the coil?  I have thought about the motor becoming a
generator as it winds down but that wouldn't explain the 0 volts at the coil
after the motor has stopped.  Does anybody have any ideas?

I need to call BPNW and get some answers or get the starter motor
manufacturer's phone number.

Gary
'73