RE: Ballast resistor question

To: "TR6 Triumph" <tr6_1969@hotmail.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Ballast resistor question
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 13:54:48 -0700
        Dave:

        The ballast resistor is a component (in the case of the TR6, a special
length of
high resistance wire embedded in the wiring harness) that drops the voltage
applied to
the ignition coil to around 6v. The thinking goes something like this:

        1. When the starter motor is engaged, the battery voltage drops to 6-7
volts.
        2. If the coil is a 12v coil, it only gets half the voltage it needs, so
          the spark is weak, and the car is harder to start.
        3. If you install a 6 volt coil in the car, then when the starter is
engaged,
          you have the full rated voltage at the coil, and the car starts
easily.
        4. After the car is started, you then have the full 12 volts applied to
the coil.
        5. A 12v coil will then have the correct voltage, but a 6v coil will
have too much
          voltage, and will draw too much current and overheat (and burn up
points?).

        The ballast resistor is switched into the circuit AFTER the starter
disengages. Thus
the 6v coil is operating at it's ideal voltage both when starting *AND* when
running. A 12 volt
coil has the correct voltage ONLY when running.

        Thus, a ballasted coil is a more modern design that eases starting,
particularly when
the weather is cold. Later TR6s have the 6v (ballasted) coil.

        Vance

The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is
by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We
cause accidents. - Nathaniel Borenstein