Re: American car question

To: <MJSUKEY@cs.com>, "'TR6 list'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: American car question
From: "Terry Geiger" <twgeiger@hiwaay.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 13:18:00 -0500
I put myself through college working on residential and commericial air
conditioning so I can help you out on this question.

The average a/c unit on a vehicle should have a 30 to 35 degree
differential.  I have seen them do 40+ degree differential when the
conditions are right.

Example:  Intake air is 90 degrees, output should be around 55 to 60
degrees.  In your case, if the car interior is 80 degrees, you should be
able to get 45 to 50 degree discharge air.

I have a one of the original dealer air units on my TR6 and on an 80 degree
day and the blower on low speed, I can get a 35 degree discharge air from
the vents (using 134a refrigerant) at cruising speeds, and this is from an
almost 30 year old air conditioning system.  Your modern system should at
least perform as well.

You may want to check and see if the heater is staying on while the air is
running.  Also, make sure the fresh air intake (from the outside) is closing
when the a/c is set to the "max" air position.

Ford usually builds a decent air conditioner so I bet there is still
something wrong.  I don't have any experience with the new Cougar.  If it is
derived from Mazda, they also usually build a good a/c system as well.

Terry Geiger
'74 TR6 daily driver
Florence, Alabama USA
http://www.ShoalsBritishCars.org/