Re: Engine breakup problem (Long)

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>, "Seth Glassman" <76tr6@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Engine breakup problem (Long)
From: "Robert L. Gannon" <trsix74@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 17:15:43 -0400
Seth, this my two cents worth and it is not the God given truth, but what I
believe. The cam does not make a difference to the measurements in testing
compression. When you test compression the motor is turned over numerous
times to see how high the tester goes. Yes, the valves are opening and
closing but the compression tester only registers the maximum pressure
reached. Until you release the pressure in the gauge the dial does not
change.
Now with your sputtering at 3800. How is your vacuum advance. Check it by
taking the diaphragm out of the slide on the distributor. Suck on the
opening. Do you get suction. If yes, its ok. If not, that is where your
problem might be. Then, check the springs and the weights. Are they dirty
and stuck. The should be clean, yet lubricated. I use a little sewing
machine oil. I drop it on top of the screw, under the rotor cap. It will
spread as you use the car.

So I hope I have helped. Run my thoughts past others. As I said, I could be
very wrong.
Robert not "Bob"  Gannon
http://hometown.aol.com/twodzusfittings/myhomepage/auto.html