Re: Headlight switch on the steering column...

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Headlight switch on the steering column...
From: Mark Riddle <dunamis6@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 01:00:32 -0400
Joe,
For the most part, all of the other answers so far have been partly
correct.

Here is the configuration of the "72":

The master lighting switch (parking and headlights), is on the right hand
stalk (although I do not know the config on the RHD version).

The switch has a pivot function in it that allows the driver to pull the
lever, and temporarily illuminate the high beams.
This only functions in this manner when the low beams are in use, or the
headlights are not on at all. Obviously, if the high beams are already in
use, you would not need to "flash" them.

Unlike the later models, the dimmer switch is located at the left side of
the footwell, adjacent to the clutch pedal. The dimmer is not activated
by the stalk switch.

The casting of the switch is very fragile, as well as the "bakelite"
board, that carries the contacts for the switch. As you say, these are
not cheap to replace. So if you undertake a repair, be careful.

You can do some cleaning of the contacts, and reapplication of just a
touch of vaseline, or white lithium as a lube for the contacts. Also the
pivots can benefit from lube, not too much though.

If the phos/bronze contact wiper(s) are broken though, it is time for a
new switch or a good "recycled" unit.

The portion of the casting that retains the contact "board", overtime can
loosen its grip on the board, and allow it to slide out of its seated
location. This needs to be repaired, as it puts more pressure directly on
the board when the "falsh" feature is used, possibly breaking the board
itself. Or mislocating the contacts relative to the switch wiper, and
causing the switch to function incorrectly or not at all.
If this is the case, push teh board into the casting as far as possible,
and gently re-crimp the cormers of the "casting" case to retain it.

Thats probably more than you wanted to know about the switch, but been
there and done that.

Dan Masters book is very helpful in explaining the differences in the
switchs from the different years. NFI

Cheers,

Mark Riddle
"72 TR6