RE: Rough idle hints needed REDUX

To: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>, "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rough idle hints needed REDUX
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 08:30:41 -0700
    Folks:

    As promised, here is the update on replacing the springs in my 6;

    I got the springs home last night, and before installing them,  took a few
measurements:

                New            Old
    ----------------------------------
    Length:     6-1/16"        5-5/8"
    Coils:      30             33
    Wire diam:  0.035"         0.035"
    k:          0.28           0.22

    Right off the bat, the new springs will be stiffer, by virtue of the fact
that there are
fewer coils in them. How much stiffer are they? I decided I would find out. I
took my trusty
craftsman 3/4" 1/2-drive socket, and hung it from both springs in turn, and
measured the amount
of stretch. Dividing the weight by the amount of stretch gives the spring
coefficient, k, and it
is shown above (measured in 'Craftsmen per inch' <grin>). So the new springs
are over 25%
stiffer than the old ones!
    As mentioned before, my stock springs had no color possibly because it had
worn off, although
the weakest springs for the ZS carbs are not color coded. The new springs are
clearly marked with
blue paint on one end. Per the ZS carb manual, these are the medium springs.
    Now very excited, I slammed those bad boys into my waiting carbs, leapt
behind the wheel,
jammed the key in....

and....

absolutely.....

nothing...

happened.....

    My starter had taken a dump while the car was waiting for the new
springs.

    ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHH!!!!!

I spent some time checking fuses, and banging on the side of the starter with
a pipe, but no joy, my friends.

I will update again when I get the starter working.

    Vance