How can a "spirited driving challenge" be lost in third gear???

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: How can a "spirited driving challenge" be lost in third gear???
From: Gameparker@cs.com
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 14:14:22 EDT
List,
I was on an abandoned road project today investigating my 0-60 times when a
Civic SI with probably the same idea in mind pulled up and gave me the nod.
With no lights or anything we both got off to a slow start, neither one wanting
to be clearly the first away.  I was clearly and cleanly pulling away from the
SI today in first and second gears - shifting when he shifted which for me
was about 5200rpm @ 55mph.  We both shifted into third and he starts pulling
past me.  By the time we shifted into 4th, he was 2 lengths ahead of me and
slowing down (challenge over).  I felt proud but puzzled how my ratios could
have
caused something like that.  Ideas how to gain that back?  Gears, rear end,
fuel, exhaust?  I am already running:  twin SU's with O2 matched needles and
K&N's, fast road cam, headers but with stock exhaust, electric fan and head
milled
to about 10:1.  Would a 3rd SU and/or a larger exhaust really make a
difference?
Thanks,
Geoff Parker
74 TR6 (supposed to be running the engine in, but you know how that goes...)
P.S.:  I really do not, in any way condone, street racing.  It is reckless
and irresponsible.  I was in a controlled environment with no outside
influences.