Re: fan belt

To: SMontrey@nam.org, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: fan belt
From: "TR6 Triumph" <tr6_1969@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 03:52:53 +0000
Oh Scot,

Come, come.  Its just 6 bolts and 4 nuts that you have to loosen (in
addition to the ones on the alternator).  I have a '69 and I have to loosen
the 4 nuts that hold the steering rack mounts (they don't need to be removed
though, just loosened) and I loosen the 6 bolts that hold in the front cross
brace.  Then you can manange to wiggle in the belt.  I figure Triumph made
it this way intentionally in order to deter theives from steeling the fan
belts.

Not as bad a the TR3 though.  I think the first step was something like
"Remove front bumper".

Smiles,
Dave Herbert

>From: "Scot Montrey" <SMontrey@nam.org>
>
>Hello listers - this is embarrassing to ask, but I'm stumped.  I need to
>replace my water pump/alternator belt on my 74 TR6 with a '69 motor, and
>it seems to be impossible to get it around the crankshaft pulley because
>both a frame crossmember and part of the steering rack are so close to
>the pulley that there's no room to squeeze the belt through the gap
>(it's about 1/8").  Am I missing something?  My British Leyland shop
>manual's directions simply "remove belt and replace."

Add MSN 8 Internet Software to your existing Internet access and enjoy
patented spam protection and more.  Sign up now!