Re: TR6 Ball Joint Removal

To: "Chris & Melissa" <chris.lummis@sympatico.ca>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Ball Joint Removal
From: "Greg Dito" <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 00:31:35 -0400
Chris,

This may seem a bit extreme, but believe me it works.  You will have to
remove the tie rod lever from the back of the vertical link (2 nuts) and
then unscrew the tie-rod from the rack and pinion.

Once you have the tie-rod and lever removed from the car rest the end of the
lever where the tie rod is stuck on its side on a very hard surface, like a
vise or anvil.  Take a decent sized hammer, preferably a small sledgehammer
(5 lbs), and whack the lever end as hard as you can.  The momentary
compression will squeeze the tapered joint and that tie-rod will pop right
out.  If it doesn't happen the first time whack it again!  Unless your
tie-rod is rusted solid in the lever this will work.

The first time I was shown this I could not believe it.  Does not really do
much to the lever and saves alot of time and aggravation.

Greg
CD6250L