Sealant between brake servo and firewall?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Sealant between brake servo and firewall?
From: "Steve Cirimele" <steve@catnamedkitty.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 21:52:13 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Folks,

I removed my clutch master cylinder, brake master
cylinder, and the brake servo, as well as the pedal box
and pedals.  Now I'm putting them back...

On the only two pedal boxes I've ever seen (including
the one from my recently acquired '70 TR6), they are
both  rusty on the section that faces the front of the
car (the section with the two large holes to
accommodate the brake and clutch levers).  I ended up
cleaning my pedal box of all the rust, painted it, and
now I'm ready to put it all back together.

When I removed things, it looked like there was some
kind of gasket material between the brake servo
"spacer" (the square aluminum piece between the servo
and the firewall).  Also, it looked like maybe there
was some kind of caulking or sealant on the top of the
pedal box.  I tried to decide if there was a gasket,
and if there was sealant, but it was quite deteriorated
and I couldn't really tell.  Maybe the rust that I've
seen on these pedal boxes is from water (or brake
fluid) getting into the cabin from the outside, that
should have been stopped by such measures?

So should I be fashioning a gasket for the spacer,
and/or using some kind of sealer goop (like
weatherstripping adhesive or something else) when
putting this back together?

Many many Thanks,

Steve
San Mateo, Ca