selling on eBay

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: selling on eBay
From: "Doug Warner" <dwarner@netsville.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 22:56:36 -0400
Hi folks,

It's been interesting and a little amusing to read the comments regarding
buying and selling on eBay. People are getting heartburn over revealing a
"reserve" price? In fact, I just read that revealing your reserve price
makes you a poor negotiator. News Flash!  There is no negotiation in an
auction. No..I take that back.there is negotiation.it's with yourself.
Hmm.What am I willing to sell or buy this item for? I won't sell it for less
than $X.or I won't buy it for more than $X. ..There is no other
negotiation..unless. Some folks like that because it's very clean. But often
an auction isn't very efficient.  Sorry.where was I.oh yes.unless what?
Unless there is a forum for negotiation within the auction. Have you ever
hit the link "Ask the seller a question?"  There it is!  I am able to query
both buyer and seller. I am not limited to what I may ask. In fact I am
encouraged to ask all pertinent questions before I place a bid. For me."what
is your reserve" is very high on the "what to ask" list. In fact it is
pivotal. I need to determine if it's worth my time to continue the bidding
process at all. If I know the reserve is too high.I'm going to bail. Or, I
might even ask what the buyer is really hoping to get as a final price (if
they don't have a "buy it now" price).or even if they do. With a little
discourse, I often been successful both buying and selling apart from but
within the auction format, Often ending the auction early and getting what I
want.or my money earlier. Yes, you can end an auction early.  When you do
both you and EBay can win. Maybe you won't have to wait the auction out to
buy that BRG TR6 or get your money from the parts car you are trying to
sell. EBay gets their listing fees either way. It's important to understand
the tools you are working with and work them. I'm not advocating deception
or fraud at any level. I just think it's worth taking some time to
understand eBay.

Sorry for the long-winded response.but I sense too many list'ers being
worked by eBay rather than eBay working for them. I'm thrilled when I get to
communicate one on one. Leverage that, cherish that, give 'em all the
information they need. Learn from them. Have some fun with the format!

Doug Warner
585-303-2701 Cell