Strange volt readings

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Strange volt readings
From: Josh Tarnow <jjtarnow@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:05:37 -0700 (PDT)
Listers, my battery gage starting flying off the dial (into the red) and after
checking the battery (it was fine) I figured the voltage regulator was the
culprit. After disconnecting the alternator (so I would not cook the battery) I
drove over to our local alt/gen starter rebuild shop who proceeded to tell me
that once he hooked the alt wires back up he was getting no reading from the
alternator at all. I doubted this and reconnected them myself (he had only half
connected one wire) and drove around a bit. Interestingly the voltage was
perfect. I first made sure there was a difference in the voltage at varying
speeds (it moved from 11.8 at idle to 12.2 when at speed) to assure that the
alt was generating some juice. Assuming all stays well I would still like to
know what happened? Any ideas? Is this "remedy" a remedy at all? Is it just
going to come back in short order?

Josh Tarnow
'76 TR6