Re: New product development! Formerly "Commercial Messages"

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New product development! Formerly "Commercial Messages"
From: "Jim Swarthout" <jswarth1@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:30:12 -0400
I sent this earlier today...I don't know whether I goofed or it was
intercepted...

Mike,

That arrow WAS NOT fired in your direction! I'm sorry you were insulted
by my post.

I simply found it ridiculous that one of my customers felt compelled to
preface his post to the list with a comment concerning the commercial
use of the list. I'm quite certain that you, personally, have in no way
been responsible for making list members feel that they should tip-toe
around when discussing new products. I certainly hope not anyway!

The end user of a product is simply that, and should not have to resort
to any CYA text in order to discuss TR parts with others on the list!

Yes, I asked the recipients of my Roller Rockers to please let the list
know what they thought of their Rockers. I don't see anything wrong with
the end user letting other TR owners know about a good product!

I price my stuff based on the time and materials required to produce
them, not what I think someone would be willing to pay. Based on this, I
have tried to keep inconsequential costs to a minimum. I have been
relying solely on word of mouth to build sales. Being somewhat of a
niche market, I consider this to be adequate.

Certainly, I could set-up a proper .COM with search engine registration,
print nice color flyers, do mass mailings...etc. I could also charge
$400.00 per set for the Rockers in order to cover these expenses! I'm
not convinced that an advertising campaign would be worth the added
expense, to me or my future customers.

Mike,

I think if you'll look back, I have not posted any comments regarding
the sale of the stuff I make for quite a long time. Many, many months as
a matter of fact. I'm thinking this past April or May.

The tool contest at the end of June had a purpose. I thought a thread
regarding the use of precision tools to diagnose various problems would
be beneficial to many list members. "So what" if I decided to give out a
set of Rockers...I wasn't selling them.

The tool contest was shot down!!! I would like to hear your thoughts on
the reasoning behind this!

I suspect you were pressured into a "cease and desist order" prior to
taking a good look at what was going on!

Someone, as if we don't know who, just burst into song, (chirping like a
little bird with a broken wing).

There were at least 20 people interested in that thread...It was
concluded off-list...that hardly seems fair to the others who may have
had an interest in the many ways a dial indicator could be used on a TR.

Again...the previous comments were not meant to be a jab against you, or
your policy of no advertising...You should assume by the fact that I
haven't been advertising I respect your wishes regarding this matter!

Best regards,

Jim Swarthout