No LBC content -- PDF vs HTML Image size

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: No LBC content -- PDF vs HTML Image size
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 11:13:59 -0400
PDF fans,

I've made some small images, 127K jpg's, and when I read one into a pdf
(a pdf with nothing but this single image), the resulting pdf is 1.6Meg.
If I add the same 127K image again, the pdf now becomes 3.3meg. I have
the "down sampling" option turned on in Acrobat. If I scan directly into
Acrobat w/o making an image, the resulting pdf again seems way to large
based on my scanner settings.

Is there something I'm missing about how to keep the data volume down in
a pdf. PDF's are nice, but the volume implications are scary. There must
be some answer to this.

I'll continue to play with Acrobat, but thought I'd ask too.

FWIW, I make the 127K jpg by scanning a 8.5 x 11 magazine cover at 300
DPI. I then use IrFanView and reduce the image by 70% (30% of original).
The resulting image is only 127K is is quite clear.

Don Malling