Re: VIN on Windshield post - replacement?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: VIN on Windshield post - replacement?
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:20:14 EDT
Be aware!  In some states, Tennessee included, your car can be confiscated if
that tag is missing. No questions asked, no options - your car is gone. With
no recourse, no reimbursement. You won't even get transportation home. You'll
be lucky if you even get a chance to remove your personal belongings before
the car is towed off to the impound lot. You *might* get a chance later to buy
it at a police auction.

"I recall reading a while back that a specific electronic project box from
Radio Shack has an aluminum plate that matches the windshield-post VIN
plate on TR6's *exactly* -- you just have to remove it from the box, stamp
your numbers on, bend it slightly over a dowel for correct curvature, and
pop-rivet it on."

I may have been the one who posted that, as that's just what I did (actually,
you needed to cut off one end and round the corners - a simple 5 minute task
- but the holes matched perfectly). Unfortunately, Radio Shack changed the
design of the box and it is no longer a perfect fit. It's the same size and
shape, but the mounting holes are "flanged" now, if I remember correctly,
making it
a bit more difficult to fit.