Engine Performance Recommendations

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine Performance Recommendations
From: jdhenn@cfl.rr.com
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:23:40 -0500
Hello listers,
I am having my 69 TR6 motor (CC 904 - apparently a very early motor) that was
rebuilt by a non-british rebuilder and never installed or run, torn down for
checks. I picked the engine up from another club member who had to sell his
project.  It's turning out to be a fun club project! Does anyone know what a
stamp of "SD" after the engine number means?  It is a smaller stamp that is
near the engine id on the block.

Anyhow, we found that improper cleaning of the parts before reassembly by the
original builder ruined some of the main bearings and he installed the original
worn cam and lifters. The engine has new .030 over pistons, new intake and
exhaust valves, reconditioned and balanced rods and crank.  I would like to
upgrade for a fast street performer without going to extravagant.  I would
appreciate any recommendations, especially on:

a) cam, lifters - is it worth the extra money for tuftrided or uprated?? The
cam is definately a good core for regrinding.  What cam and who is a good
source?
b) If I upgrade the cam do I need to upgrade the valve springs, spacers etc.
c) I have an early "narrow" circle B head - is it worth shaving?  I would like
to get to 9.5 to 1 compression.
d) rocker shaft/rockers - worth the money for the tuftrided/uprated??
e) brand of bearings?

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
Many Thanks
Jim Henningsen
75 TR6 (soon to be transplanted with a 69 motor)
80 TR8 (still getting that new steering rack installed)
63 TR4 (wishes it was running)