Re: Removing u-joints

To: "John North" <jnorth@novagate.com>,
Subject: Re: Removing u-joints
From: "Greg Dito" <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:45:02 -0500
John,

Hopefully, yes.  As described in Bentley once the circlips are removed
cradle the yoke in you hand and rap the top area right next to each u-joint
bearing preferably with a dead blow hammer or hard rubber mallet.  You may
not notice it at first but the cup will begin to creep out of the yoke until
you can pull it out or it will simply pop out with enough blows.  Then
repeat that on the adjacent cup, not the one across from where you just
removed it.  This way you can get the u-joint out of the way enough to get a
long center punch in there and knock the other two out from the inside and
remove the u-joint.

Of course they may not cooperate in which case heavy use of penetrating oil
comes into play and patience.

I used a vise that was large enough to also use a socket as a drift.  I
forget the exact size, 5/8 maybe, but it was just small enough to fit in the
yoke opening as I closed the vise. The socket would push the cup into place.
I used a piece of delrin on the other side of the yoke so as not to chip the
powder coated driveshaft, axles and flanges on the vise jaws.  Be
forewarned, it was a task that really needs three hands - holding the flange
or axle (1), holding the socket in place (2) until the vise was tigtened up
against it (3).  There may be an easier way but I just winged it.

And be careful of two areas -  make sure that the roller bearings (needle
bearings?) are all held flat against the side wall of the cup (grease is
good for this) otherwise as you try to close up the cup you'll trap the
loose little roller between the u-joint and the cup and probably damage the
u-joint, and, also do not exceed the recommended depth of the cup into the
yoke.  I used trial and error while eyeballing the top of the cup to the
circlip groove and when I though I was close enough I'd just start lightly
tapping on the socket until I could get the circlip in there.  Push it too
far and you can damage the u-joint.

Greg Dito
CD6250L