Half Shaft Problems

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Half Shaft Problems
From: "Nick Gemas" <gln@worldpath.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 17:18:17 -0500
Hi Guys,
    I went for a run in the six today , last one for a while and noticed a
clunk when backing up, well actually more like a clang. I then stopped put
it into 1st, clank, reverse ,clank. It definitely is coming from the drivers
side wheel area. I had the rear hubs rebuilt last year by a local Triumph
shop. I then jacked the car pulled the drivers side tire, I didn't see any
frame cracks, I then grabbed the inner drive shaft u-joint on both sides and
didn't notice any play but there is definitely play in the sliding joint
where the axle meets. If I grab it and give er a shake she'll rattle a
little. There's also a little slop in the same sliding joint on the
passenger's side. What do you guys think? Is there suppose to be any play in
this area? What makes up this sliding joint?

Thanks Nick