Engine overhaiul, latest stuff

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine overhaiul, latest stuff
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 18:27:25 -0800
        Folks:

        Latest dirt on the TR6 engine rebuild;

        Managed to get the timing cover, timing gears, pistons and rods
out of the motor. But I am stalled at the moment. I managed to get
almost all of the freeze plugs out, but there are 2 left that will NOT
come out, or so it seems. For most of them, I simply tapped them into
the block, then rotated them so I could get a hold on one edge with a
pair of vice grips, and they pretty much jumped out the block. But there
are two on the distributor side, 1-1/16" in size, that I cannot do this
because there is not enough space in the water jacket to push them in. I
tried heating them (used my torch and MAPP gas) and quenching them with
oil, but they merely sneered at me.
        Question #1: Does anyone have any tricks for these stubborn
freeze plugs? Acetylene, plastique, napalm?
        Also managed to get a couple of the oil gallery plugs out, but
most of them will not budge with my hex keys. If I put any more torque
on them, I am either going to strip them or break my key. Once again, I
used my torch and quenched with oil, to no avail.
        Question #2: Suggestions, please, on how to get these little
vermin out of the block. Drill them?
        As for my low compression in #6, the piston and rings were in
fine shape, so I am left to conclude that the upside down head gasket
was somehow leaking, probably into the lifter valley. I did see what I
felt was too much blowby, and the extra blowby going into the carbs
would explain the unsteady idle and difficult time I had getting my
mixture rich enough (I think). It is also possible, I suppose, that the
incorrect intake gasket may have contributed to the lean idle, but I
don't see how. Comments?
        Crank end play was 0.005", which seemed pretty good for
(allegedly) 70,000 miles. A timing cover bolt was missing, which
penetrated the lifter valley, allowing copious amounts of oil to leak
down the front of the motor. It was hidden by the water pump, or I would
have replaced it long ago. At least I can fix that pesky oil leak.
        I have completely stripped the head, so I can begin porting it.
No signs of valve recession, although I am not an expert on the subject.
Remaining: Drop the crank, lifters, and cam from the block. Oh yeah, and
remove the various remaining plugs. Then off to the machine shop.
Ka-ching, Ka-ching!$!$!

        Thanks for any tips,

        Cheers,

        Vance