Re: exhaust fumes

To: <Lizirbydavis@cs.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: exhaust fumes
From: "Terry Geiger" <twgeiger@hiwaay.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 22:07:42 -0600
Joe,

I had the same problem on my daily driver and I've heard this complaint from
many TR6 and TR4 owners.  I had the local exhaust shop run the exhaust out
behind the left rear wheel.  The exhaust system is stock other than this
modification.  He cut the original outlets from the muffler and made up two
aluminized pipes and welded them to the original muffler.  It looks like it
belongs and it gets the exhaust into the slipstream of the car, carrying the
fumes away instead of trapping them behind the car.  I can now put a sweat
shirt in the trunk and it doesn't wreak of fumes after a long drive.

If you'd like I can take a digital picture and send it to you directly.

Terry Geiger
'74 TR6 daily driver
Florence, Alabama USA
http://www.ShoalsBritishCars.org/

> Since putting the top up I've noticed a strong exhaust smell in the car.
It seems like it is coming in through the back on the drivers side.  My
trunk seal looks fine, there are no unplugged holes in the trunk, no exhaust
leaks, and the tail pipes exit well clear of the rear bumper.  I can't leave
anything in the trunk because of the fumes.  Any ideas how to solve the
problem?