Engine rebuild update

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine rebuild update
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 08:28:31 -0800
        Folks:

        Not much to report on the engine overhaul;

        1. Dropped the block and rods off at the machinist; Doing 0.020"
overbore,
         decking, resizing rods, new oil galley plugs.
        2. Dropped the flywheel off at a friend's place (he has a lathe). Will
be
         resurfacing and lightening the flywheel.
        3. Dropped the crank off at a local shop that specializes in crankshafts
         ("Crankshaft City"). They will be grinding it 0.010". My rod journals
were
         out of spec according to Bentley, so it needs a grind.
        4. As mentioned last week, the cam is at the regrinder's for repair and
         regrinding (it had a flat lobe). Specs on new cam are 270/272 adv
duration,
         110 lobe centers, intake centerline at 109 degrees, 0.293" lobe lift.
They
         are also regrinding my lifters.

        Problems discovered during the teardown: Wrong intake gasket (from a CC
motor), head gasket on upside down, missing cam lobe on #2 cylinder, missing
bolt
on timing cover (penetrated the lifter galley) causing oil leak.
        Stuff to share: Received lots of helpful hints on removing freeze
plugs. I tried
many of the suggestions, but for me the best solution was punching a hole in
the plug
with a nail punch, using a socket to insert a 1/4" lag bolt, levering the plug
out
with a claw hammer. A slide hammer would have been faster, but I didn't have
one of those.
For the plugs that I chewed up before I figured this out, a seal puller worked
fine
with a little muscle, so that was my fallback. Dremel was too slow to suit me,
and
punching them into the block and then using vice grips did not work if there was
not enough clearance behind the plug to push it all the way in.
        Oil galley plugs: Some were easy, but I had to drill out three of them.
Using
a drill bit that was slightly undersized (1/64 smaller than the hole) seemed to
work
just fine. Drilling would leave the threads intact, then I could use some WD40
and
a pick, and the threads would pop out intact.

        More news later....

        Vance