brake booster problem

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: brake booster problem
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 21:46:49 EST
When I step on the brakes, I hear a high pitched whining sound, like someone
is slowly letting the air out of a balloon.  The harder I push, the higher the
pitch.  If I apply firm pressure for a few seconds, the sound goes away.  My
brakes seem to work fine otherwise.  The pedal feels firm, and does not go
down with steady pressure.  I've also noticed a very slight, almost
imperceptible
fluid leak between the master cylinder and the booster.  I'm inclined to
think that the two problems are not related.   Do I have a bad master cylinder,
or
booster, or both?  Any ideas what the problem is and how to deal with it?
thanks
Joe Davis