Oil leak solved

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil leak solved
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 05:57:35 -0800 (PST)
I have come across some information that may be of use to my fellow man/woman
in regard to a persistent oil leak that I thought was worth passing on so here
it is:

I have had a persistent oil leak in the area of the bottom of the large plate
that is bolted to the front of the engine between the block and the timing
chain cover. I have been chasing this problem for nearly a year having replaced
the oil seal on the crank 3 times (once with new oil seal sleeve including the
timing chain seal, without any notable success. I also pulled the pan and
surfaced and replaced that troublesome alloy block in which the wooden wedges
fit also without success. I finally yanked the timing chain cover, chain and
etc and replaced the gasket behind the plate which seems to have solved the
problem. The thing I wanted to pass on was that I also had a persistent leak
from oil blowing out through the oil filler cap on my alloy valve cover.
Obviously the reason for this is because of too much oil (possible with the aux
oiler) and/or positive pressure in the valve cover instead of the negative
pressure that should be there from the vacuum from the carbs to the valve
 cover. I now believe that a major contributing reason for all of the oil leaks
was the positive pressure in the valve cover and thus also in the crankcase of
the motor. I have solved the problem of the oil coming out of the oil filler
cap removing the plastic nipples on the side of the carb that reduces the size
of the orifice from the carb to the hoses that connect to the valve cover.
Obviously this is a British car and is going to leak but hopefully not nearly
as much now. Also a possible contributing factor to these problems is that I
have a late model head and long runner intake on my early (1970) car and I have
no Idea what model TR6 the carbs came off of or whether or not the plastic
nipples were stock on all 6s. Sorry to run on so but if this solution proves
successful it is a minor miracle that has been annoying me for many quarts of
oil and may be a problem encountered by other members of the list.

Mike Lunsford 1970 TR6

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now