Re: Vintage Mags

To: jfarris@troyst.edu
Subject: Re: Vintage Mags
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 19:28:31 EST
In a message dated 12/1/03 1:21:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jfarris@troyst.edu writes:

> Recently someone mentioned a source for the old 4 spoke mags that were
> popular on British race cars & some smaller formula cars back in the 70's &
> early 80's.  I thought they were made by American Racing, but can't find
> them on American's website.  Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Jim

Jim,
I don't believe that the 4-Spoke A/R's are available anymore.  In fact I am
going to say that they are way long gone and have not been sold as new for
quite some time.  You can occasionally find them used on ebay or at a big swap
meet. Be careful though because there were 5 1/2" ones and 6" ones that came
either aluminum or magnesium.  Interestingly if you find a set of wheels you
can
buy the hex nut center caps with the A/R decal and the red and blue stars that
came with the wheels new from American Racing. They call them American Racing
Classic Series. I bought a set from Summit Racing for the used set of wheels
that I found at a swap meet and had restored for my 71 TR6.  Of course a real
purest might want the hex nut center caps that had the Triumph Logo on the
decal and I have only seen one set of those in my lifetime on some 8 spoke
A/R's
mounted on a real nice TR-250.
Happy Hunting,
Darrell