Brake Improvements

To: mbullard@verizon.net
Subject: Brake Improvements
From: Bruce Simms <brucesimms2003@yahoo.ca>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 17:34:14 -0500 (EST)
Hi Mark: We have a comedian talk show host here in Canada named Mike Bullard.
He can be crude, no relation I'm sure.

I've forwarded all the offline replies on brake upgrades as requested.  I
wonder why people don't cc the list, some great info.

A big thank you to the great advice provided by Bob Lang, Hugh Barber, Jim
Jones, Ted Schumacher and Ed Chan.

At this point I'm leaning to carbon pads, carbon shoes and 7/8 rear cylinders.
these seem straightforward and cost effective,   Maybe Toyota 4 pot caliper
conversion, although I don't sense its crucial for a fast road car.   Perhaps
when I need new calipers, as I'm told its not really any pricier.  Same
approach for the aluminum drums with iron inserts.

The Toyota 4 pot conversion detailed on the VTR site includes some stopping
distance tests, with a stock TR6 setup as the baseline.   The Toyota 4 pot
resulted in a 7% improvement, but adding 7/8 rear cylinders to the 4 pots
resulted in an additional 11%.   I've seen another test that indicated the 7/8
cylinders can improve stopping.  Not sure what they would do on their own,
without other upgrades.

I would guess these tests that average stopping distance over multiple trials
are more indicative of track performance where hot brakes are more of an issue.

Let us know what you're planning.

Bruce Simms CF1941UO