Update on windshield gasket repl

To: "TR6 list" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Update on windshield gasket repl
From: "John Reynolds" <JohnTempe8@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 11:50:51 -0700
Thanks all for the info on replacing the windshield gasket!  I found 3M
Automotive Bedding and Glazing Compound PN 08509 to use between the gasket
and body.  It comes in a tube that fits in a caulk gun.  Cleans up nicely
with Lacquer thinner.  Another suggestion was 3M's PN 08578 that comes in
stips. I made the choice on how much would be left over.
Since I had a leak from the top of the windshield frame, the plastic visor
"cup" would fill and drip, I took off the aluminum cap and used Norton strip
caulk between the frame and the cap. It's packaged like the 3M strips,
there's 98- 1ft lengths in the box.  I've got enough left over to do a fleet
of TR6's!
To replace the gasket around the windshield I used phone wire which was
slippery and thin enough to work the rubber over the frame.  Now to install
the chrome strip.
I wish I could report on the "waterproofness" of the job but living in
Arizona it's been in the 70's and sunny so unfortunately I can't give much
feedback!!!!!!!!

Happy New Year to all,
John