Ballast Resistors and Crane electronic ignition - F/Up ?s

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Ballast Resistors and Crane electronic ignition - F/Up ?s
From: Bruce Simms <brucesimms2003@yahoo.ca>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 23:06:02 -0500 (EST)
Yes, that's what the Crane literature says.  However,  Dan Masters told me to
go ahead and bypass the ballast resistor anyways, if you run a Lucas Sport coil
with the crane XR700.   He said the Sport Coil is internally ballasted.  Dan
has this set-up on his car.

My experience is that the Crane took some work to set-up right, but has been
trouble-free since.  If  Crane has rotors I should buy a few, instead of having
to file stock rotors to fit.

You're also supposed to increase the plug gap to say .30-.35 to take advantage
of the sport coil's spark potential, but since I run 9.5 compression with a TR5
cam, maybe I'm back at stock plug gap?

Regards, Bruce Simms CF1941UO