Re: Removing Vacuum Advance Unit

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Removing Vacuum Advance Unit
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:06:46 -0800 (PST)
John T----On the outside of the distributor body, there is a small
diameter roll pin that secures the vacuum Retard capsule to the
distributor body. It can be tapped out with a small (1/16"?) punch, or a
blunt tipped nail of the right size. The fact that this unit wobbles
does not necessarily mean that it won't retard the timing, as designed.
To check it's operation, first determine that the  line to it has
vacuum, as the engine idles. If it does, next check the ignition timing
with this line connected, and with it disconnected. The should be a
noticeable difference in engine speed, and as much as 16 deg. of timing
change.

Next, there is an anchor pin inside the distributor body that should
have a coiled wire looped over it. This pin should not wobble. When
vacuum is applied thru the retard unit, this coiled wire pulls the pin
on the distributor points plate counterclockwise, which retards the
timing.

Many owners merely block off this vacuum line and set the timing at 10
or 12 deg. BTDC. The engine works fine this way.

Dick

Sender: owner-6pack@autox.team.net From: joturbe@jam.rr.com 2004,
10:41pm
Subject: removing the vacuum advance unit
My 1973 distributor vacuum advance is broken and I want to replace it.
I've poked several things in the pin hole, but it only wobbles. Is there
more than one pin? What will release it?
Thanks--John