Re: Cylinder Head identity

To: <RazorBobSr@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Cylinder Head identity
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 08:57:38 -0000
I have a TR-6 cyl head with these numbers stamped on it 312388  and
218227,can anyone tell me what year this head was used and the CR for this
head?

Er, um, this is interesting hybridBob. What you've got here are the casting
and engineering reference numbers for two separate cylinder heads.

312388 is the casting number. Is it raised? According to my old records,
this indicates the stamped number alongside one of the rocker pedestals
should be 218226. Are you sure the one on your head is 218227? This second
number is the important one that tells us about the head. I don't have a
corresponding Stanpart number which could help and this may explain the
hybridness? Anyway a 216226 head was used on the 2500TC saloon (and this
engine did have carb differences to the TR6 for the States) It was also used
on cars for Australia in 1974. The nominal head height when new was 3.475
inches, exhaust valve dia was 32mm and the pushrod length was 8 and 5/16ths
inches. Compression ratio is not stated but I'd guess its somewhere around
8.5:1

Using your other number 218227, would indicate it is actually for a 313247
casting number and factory part number 520870. This is for a TR6 carb (year
unstated).The nominal head height when new was 3.535 inches, exhaust valve
dia was 32mm and the pushrod length was 8 and 5/16ths inches  Compression
ratio was 7.5:1 and the head was also used on 2500 saloon cars (not TR's)
for Africa. as the leaded fuel octane was too low for an injected TR and the
carbed TR was only sold in North America.

Jonmac

---