Flywheel retainers?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Flywheel retainers?
From: richard.r.olson@faa.gov
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 21:01:29 -0500
While prepping my '72 for the 5-speed installation, I ran into some 'extra'
fun; as in, the flywheel needed resurfacing and the rear main seal needed
replacing.

My question relates to the two rectangular 'straps' that are sometimes
found under the 4 flywheel to crank bolts.  My '72 doesn't have them, my
'73 did, Bently's doesn't mention them (at least in the Flywheel R&R
section), Haynes has a picture of them, but nothing like a "If you don't
use these, your flywheel will fall off." warning.

So, what's the general consensus of the list?  Don't bother (I'll have to
order them, and lose another week waiting for them to arrive), or 'Better
safe than sorry'?

Thanks,
Rick Olson, digesting