Clarification on boxing rear diff bridge

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Clarification on boxing rear diff bridge
From: Cregg Cowan <cowan@erg.sri.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 16:04:26 -0800
On page 17 of Roger William's new "How To Improve" book, in the caption for
Picture 2-7, he writes:
"The diff bridge is made from open-bottomed channel, the strength of which
borders on marginal for standard and fast road cars.  The extra stress of
an ultra fast road, rally or track car makes it important that you close
the bottom in by 'boxing' the channel.  You would add further to the
strength of your modification if you welded a shallow folded channel
(rather than a flat boxing plate) across this crossmember, as indicated by
the arrow."   (Note: the figure shows arrows pointing to the channel where
the rear shocks mount.)

I'm somewhat unclear on this, and I can't find clarification in this or the
William's "How To Restore" book.  My best interpretation is to use a ~5"
long piece of U shaped channel, with the 'U' having short sides, and weld
this new 'U' up into the diff bridge adjacent to where the rear shocks
attach (with the new 'U' nested into the 'U' of the rear diff
bridge.  However, I'm concerned that Williams use of "across this
crossmember" may mean something else.   Can someone who has BTDT please
clarify?

TIA,
Cregg Cowan
CC63192