Spin-On Oil Filter Adaptor - Update

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spin-On Oil Filter Adaptor - Update
From: webb@daikin-america.com
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 14:16:05 -0600
To my embarasement, I discovered the root cause of my oil leak - my
mechanic (me) screwed up!

The o-ring must have moved partly out of the groove as I was positioning
the adaptor and was cut it pretty badly when I torqued the bolt down.

A couple of items though - while the owners manual says to tighten the bolt
down enough to prevent leaks, the shop manual actually gives a torque value
of 15 - 20 ft-lbs so this helps. Also, interestingly enough, the o-ring
that came out of the '74 6 with the adaptor is 1/8" thick, the new o-ring
from Moss is 1/8" thick but the o-ring that came out of the '76 (with the
original oil case) is 1/4" thick - seems strange to be that much different.

Update on vehicle - I bought the '76 a couple months ago. It is a rust-free
:-) straight, mildly neglected, brown with a cheap green spray job. Just
adjusted valve lash, replaced thrust, main and rod bearings, installing a
new radiator, hoses, belts (discovered the coolant pipe to the inlet
manifold is completely packed with silt, rust, etc.), added oil to carbs
(was dry), neads new exhaust. Can't wait to get her on the road!

Thanks for all the responses!

Pat