Re: Amp gauge

To: Jim <ebers@wpa.net>
Subject: Re: Amp gauge
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 11:11:24 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Jim wrote:

> Just wondering if there are 2 different ones for the TR6's. The alternators
> for the 69 to 73 was 35 amp. I see there are 60 amp alternators on eBay for
> the same year. Will the amp gauge take the higher amps?

Triumph switched from ammeters to voltage guages at some point, I can't
recall if the switchover was CF1 or CC75000. At any rate, the later cars
have voltmeters. I don't think that Triumph switched to the Lucas ACR18
until CF12500 - that was the higher amperage model. All the early TR6's
had the ACR17 which is condiderably "wimpier" than the 18 - but the 18 is
not a large alternator for sure.

But assuming nothing other than you have a '71 and an ammeter, I'll go out
on a limb and say that the later alternator will work okay on your car.
Your gauge is limited to about 30 amps, but there aren't many times when
your gauge will swing all the way to + or - meaning the full 30 amps is
going through the system.

So installing a ACR18 could be considered an upgrade.

Also note that some of the early cars shipped from the factory with
AC-Delco alternators. I had a '69 with the AC unit.

> Just wondering,
> Jim "71"

rml
74 with a Delco
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |