Re: Clutch Fork Pin

To: "Sally or Dick Taylor" <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch Fork Pin
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 23:08:09 -0500
> If this disengagement problem came about
> suddenly (did you hear a pop?) we may safely rule out play in the
> pedal box, which of course can also shorten the stroke.
>
> Dick Taylor

As Ryan first guessed the fork pin is a likely culprit, but one of the
issues more easily overlooked is the piston spring inside of the clutch
master cylinder.  When my 1974 TR6 developed sudden engagement problems,
while driving home one day (a few years ago), it was not the fork pin... but
the spring inside of the clutch master cylinder was in four pieces.  Since
this one of the more impressive failures I have had with British cars I kept
a photo of the broken spring:

http://www.wbclassics.com/images/cylinder-piston-spring.jpg

It pays to double check all the components in an individual system when
carrying out maintenance work on the system.

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke
Wishbone Classics