RE: Opinions on engine problem

To: "Chuck Arnold" <chuck.arnold@oracle.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Opinions on engine problem
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 08:08:13 -0800
        Chuck:

        Just my 0.02 worth:

        Sounds like piston to valve contact, or possibly piston to head
or
valve spring coil bind.
        The loosened pushrods are a clue.
        The fact that you have installed a new cam, and decked the block

(instead of blocking the deck?) has removed piston to valve clearance.
You don't say what you new cam's specs are, nor do you mention what your

roller rocker ratio is. You have shaved the head, which also removes
valve/piston clearance. All of these are important details, given that
you have extensively modified your motor.
        So,

        1. Check for valve spring coil bind.
        2. Check piston to valve clearance.
        3. Check piston to head clearance.

        Just curious; what ratio rockers are you running, and
what are your cam specs?

        Vance